Maintaining a septic tank is essential to ensure the hygiene and health of your property and its surroundings. It can be tricky to know when to empty a septic tank, as there is no hard and fast rule for when this should be done – it depends on a number of factors. If you are unsure about septic tank emptying and how often it should be done, Thistle Tanks can provide advice and information to help ensure that it is completed correctly and safely.
What Determines How Often You Should Empty a Septic Tank?
The size of the tank and the number of people in the household are the two main factors that determine how often a septic tank should be emptied. If your property has been extended, or if your family size has increased, then this will mean more waste is being put into the septic system and it will need to be emptied more regularly. Generally speaking, a tank should be emptied every three to five years depending on usage.
Signs Your Tank is Full
Here are some tell-tale signs to know when your septic tank needs emptying:
- Poor water drainage. If your toilets and sinks are draining slowly, this could be a sign that the tank is overloaded and needs emptying.
- Gurgling or bubbling noises in your pipes – these can indicate that there is an airlock in the system due to a buildup of sludge.
- Bad odours coming from outside drains or in the house – this can be caused by methane gas which is a sign that your septic tank needs emptying.
- Unusual plant growth around the field drain or septic tank area – when wastewater leaks from the system, it can cause plants to grow faster,
- Slow draining water in sinks, baths and toilets – the slower the water drains, the closer your tank is to overflowing.
- Pooling water around the drain fields – this is usually caused by the ground being saturated with wastewater.
- Difficulty flushing toilets – this is usually caused by a buildup of solids in the tank blocking the pipes.
If you notice any of these signs, then it is time to empty your septic tank. If left too long, the waste can build up and lead to problems further down the line.
Septic Tank Emptying with Thistle Tanks
At Thistle Tanks we provide a fast and reliable septic tank and cesspit emptying service. Our team of experts understand the importance of septic tank emptying in order to maintain hygienic and healthy living conditions, so you can be sure that your tank will be emptied quickly and safely.
We’re qualified in the safe and effective disposal of domestic waste, meaning you can rest assured that your septic tank is being emptied correctly and legally. Our septic tank emptying Warwick service is available throughout the region, so if you need your tank emptied then please take a look at our website or contact us today.